2005-09-23

Laughter at My Expense

Tonight I went to a comedy show for charity and Mike wanted to sit in the front row. At Sea World, if you sit in the front row, you will get wet; at comedy shows, if you sit in the front row, you will get insulted.

Of the nine comedians to perform, eight singled me out at some point during their routine. Among the things I was identified for: being cute, liking foreskin, dating my cousin, being high, masturbating with my roommate, frequenting Asian massage parlors, not getting laid, and looking thirteen.

Since I have a good sense of humor, and must begrudgingly admit that all of those comments are true, I still had a good time. I loudly applauded when three of my favorite topics were referenced: incest, meth, and the 99 Cent store. These cheers were met with stares from the crowd, but I didn't mind those at all: I like to embarrass myself on my own terms.

Comedy shows are a unique experience. Where else are racial stereotypes not only accepted but cheered for? Where else can you see a dwarf smash a microphone? How about someone putting a hand down her pants and having a conversation with her vagina?

If you answered my family reunion, you are correct.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dating your cousin? Try making that blood relation (and spiritual bond) a little closer and then they'd be telling the truth . . .