2005-12-22

White Washed


In silly liberal California, my friends often doubt the prevalent prejudiced mentalities I’ve observed in Connecticut. Back on the east coast, in the span of ten minutes, someone I know, who we’ll call Ingra to protect her ignorance, illustrates everything that is wrong with the world.

Walking by a nail salon, Ingra expresses embarrassment. A while back after having her nails painted there, Ingra was handed a punch card that could be redeemed for a free session on her tenth visit. Except that Ingra didn’t understand what she was told because “they don’t speak English,” and after hearing the word “free,” she left the store, only to be chased down a moment later and asked for payment. When told not to worry because the salon is now under new management, Ingra says she couldn’t tell because “they all look the same.”

Next door to the salon is Carvel. Ingra thinks Carvel has gross ice cream and knows why: it’s run by Indian people (which she punctuates by pressing a dot on her forehead). Someone points out that Indian people also run the Hartford, a wealthy insurance company in town. Ingra clams up – for maybe a minute.

At Ingra’s dorm at school, one of her suitemates moved out because she hated Ingra and her friends. Can’t imagine why! The vacant room will be filled by someone random, which frightens Ingra. “You’re afraid that you’ll get a foreign exchange student, aren’t you?” I guess, based upon her previous statements. “Well, not just that,” she says. “What if they’re black? Or Jewish?” My mouth drops. I don’t even know where to begin with the former statement, so I start with the latter. “You’re friends with Jewish people!” I declare. “I know, but we’re all Christians!” says the non-practicing Ingra. “Our suite has only Christmas decorations! It’s just a difference in culture.”

A difference in culture. And that, my friends, is an example of why like-minded affluent Caucasians attending school together are not actually receiving an education.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha omgggg this ingra girl sounds really cool. i couldnt stop laughing. hope i can meet her someday!

Kevin said...

At first I smiled, then I wondered, if perhaps, this IS Ingra. Blast these anonymous comments and my inability to know who's talking to me!

Anonymous said...

Give me a hint--the first time this Ingra went to dance, did she not wear pants?