2005-10-10

Pardon My German

Having befriended many a German exchange student during my high school years, I got a bit excited when I was introduced to one at Pitzer recently. I tried to impress her with my knowledge of the German language before realizing the extent to which I am lacking. "Du schieBe bockstein!" I told her, which I think means "you are a shit brick." Fortunately, I did not offend her because apparently that expression doesn't actually translate. When I try "fettes brot" (fat bread), my pronunciation causes her to wince; she's unimpressed. I search my mind for something better and remember that in my favorite German hip hop song, they say the word "Plexiglas."

"Plexiglas!" I throw out there.
"What?" she asks.
"Plexiglas. It's the same in German and English."
In her harsh German accent, she condescendingly says, "When are you ever going to need to say Plexiglas?"

Well, that shut me up. Still, I hope a plate of Plexiglas falls on her head.

No comments: