2011-04-01

Fool Me, Fool Me

To everyone who keeps writing "April Fool's Day" instead of "April Fools' Day"... it's called a plural possessive. If there's just one fool, then clearly it's you.

Really, though, I've found that the only fool is the one trying to play the tricks. I was an April First prankster as a kid, but even when the jokes were successful, the burden always wound up on me. I turned the clocks forward and had to go wait out at the bus stop way early. I put ink on the telephone receiver and then had to scrub it off. I placed a bucket of water on top of a door and ended up soaked myself. I wrapped cellophane around the toilet, then had to clean up after my sibling peed on the floor instead.

So I'm over it! No more "fooling" for this guy. The only fooling I'll consent to is of the "Lovefool" variety. Can we all agree that this Cardigans classic is one of the best songs ever?



The dance beat is simple, but superbly distinctive; I'm shocked that I haven't heard a hip-hop artist sample it yet. I remember requesting it at a bar mitzvah reception, and feeling like a champ as my fellow thirteen-year-olds shook with all their might. Even now when I perform it at karaoke occasionally, my favorite part is that within the first three seconds there's always a screech of excitement and recognition as people rush for the dance floor.

In college, I had a MIDI version of "Lovefool" for my cellphone ringtone, which was simultaneously hilarious and awful and hilarious. I miss it, so in honor of the holiday, I'm going to find a crappy instrumental version of this song to be my ringtone all over again. When I can't figure out how to change it back in a few days, I'm sure that, again, the prank will be on me, but being stuck with "Lovefool" as my ringtone is hardly a bad thing. In fact, you'd be a fool not to do it.

No comments: