2007-06-20

If the Shoe Fits

While waiting for class to begin, I witness a conversation between two female English doctorate students.

"Aren't my shoes cute?"
"They are cute."
"I know. I'm trying to break them in."
"How's that going?"
"I'm in so much pain, it's been three days."
"Is it getting better?"
"Sometimes I think so, but I'm not sure whether they're actually loosening up or my pain tolerance increased."
"It's the pain tolerance. I had shoes like that before, the material is so cheap, it won't change it's shape."
"Oh no, but these shoes aren't cheap."
"That's because they're still cute."
"I hope if I wear them for long enough, I'll build up calluses. Oh look, it's cutting into my foot."
"You can buy this material to rub on your feet to prevent that."
"Really? Is it a liquid?"
"Yeah, but it dries like a fake layer of skin. I use it all the time."
"That's amazing!"

Yeah, miraculous even. Thank goodness we've made significant scientific advancements to assist in the wearing of cute shoes. I've been in class with these women - they are intelligent people who contribute insightful comments during discussions. It pains me, perhaps more than an ill-fitting shoe, to see this dialogue performed seriously; it reads as satirical. Besides, these shoes are bright yellow and apparently plastic. They're only cute in a world where it would make sense to injure yourself in order to look better.

It reminds me of a quotation from one of my former favorite television series, Ally McBeal. I know he went downhill, but creator David E. Kelly is definitely a genius. It was his insistence on writing each episode (of multiple series simultaneously) singlehandedly that led to the well eventually yet understandably running dry. Anyway, I present to you a scene where politically incorrect lawyer Richard Fish educates an employee as to why gender inequality still exists:
"Georgia, give me your shoe. Why would a grown person wear these? They are hugely uncomfortable, make it easier to fall, cause back problems, but, hey -- call it fashion. What kind of person would spend an equivalent of two years painting her face and plucking out her eyebrows, and putting silicone or saline in her chest? There is a name for this kind of person, 'woman'. Why? Because, we 'men' like it. Don't talk to me about equality. Don't tell me you aren't disabled."


I know that there are many feminist scholars who have expressed the same sentiment in a more articulate manner, but I appreciate this monologue's bluntness. For my classmate, wearing these particular shoes is essentially self-mutilation; she's enduring pain in attempt to appear more attractive. In fact, it's reminiscent of footbinding, the main difference being that she determines whether she is to impose this pain upon herself. From here on out, I cannot take this person seriously. As long as women punish themselves in the name of looking good, equality cannot be achieved. You can be sure men (granted, with some exceptions) don't wear shoes that are uncomfortable in the name of fashion. Anytime you wear something that hurts, something skimpy when you know you'll be freezing, something that took hours to prepare before leaving the house, you're contributing to a society where we prioritize females as objects to be looked at. If you want to be more than that, don't be so complicit. If the shoe fits, wear it; if it doesn't, for crying out loud, wear something else. And, women, you've got to start being each others' allies. If a friend tells you she's trying to wear shoes even though they hurt, tell her to return them or donate them to Goodwill, don't encourage the behavior!

Part of the reason this culture of women as visual candy perpetuates is because women subconsciously believe it to be true. Though I was the only male present for the aforementioned conversation, it wasn't my opinion she sought. She wanted a female opinion to validate her status as a cute female. Men aren't given credit for being fashion experts, (I'm sure not, though I'm not willing to make such a generalization for the rest of the population,) which is all the more reason that women shouldn't dress for them. If you can't ask men whether your make up is on properly, then what's the use in working so hard to wear it for them? For that reason, I suspect that women resort to these rituals more so to be acceptable to other women, in which case it's time females band together and say, "No more! Let's find each others' newfound intelligence and insight attractive rather than limiting ourselves through ridiculous, normalized beautification routines!"
(Forgive the implied heteronormativity throughout this paragraph. I suppose it would make most sense for lesbians to try to appear attractive in standard ways since they're seeking attention from fellow women rather than men, though, thankfully, many seek a different aesthetic.)

To make it clear, men have their own set of problems. But that's for another day. Gender is stupid. Wear what's easy and comfortable.

No comments: