2007-06-07

Fightin' My Irish

"Do you embrace your culture?" a student asks me out of the blue.
"What do you mean?" I ask.
"You know, do you celebrate your heritage?"
"Um, no, not really."

I'm not a fan of obsessing with one's own culture. I'm not against it, per se, but on a personal level, I think dwelling on my peoples' traditions and beliefs don't better me as a person or help achieve the changes I'd like to see in the world.

"What are you?" the student asks.

It's very rare to hear such a question. I'm Caucasian; white. Generally, that outward appearance is enough for people. Though it is not uncommon to hear this inquiry made of non-white people in this country, particularly biracial individuals, one's whiteness is rarely broken down further than just that. You see, in the United States, we believe in the melting pot. So long as the ingredient you contribute to that pot is vanilla, you'll be fine.

I actually have to pause before giving an answer, since it is not something that is a part of me enough to let it slide off the tongue. "I'm mostly Irish," I say.
"Do you do anything special because of it?" the student asks back.
I have to think about that one, too. "Um... sometimes I eat potatoes? I mean, no, not really."
"Does being Irish mean anything to you?"
"When I think of being Irish, truthfully, I think of drinking a lot and the Notre Dame mascot ready to punch someone."

It's an impulsive response, but a telling one. Frankly, I'm surprised that these are the associations I have with being Irish; I never realized that I thought the Irish to be pugnacious alcoholics. Since I do not identify with my heritage, I don't believe these stereotypes to be reflective of me. Furthermore, I wouldn't want anyone to assume this idea to be true of me because I am of an Irish background.

This realization leaves me to wonder - do I not identify with my heritage because I really find it an unimportant subject, or because that particular identity carries with it a sense of previously unnoticed self-loathing?

At my school, students who express individuality and hang out with people of other races are often labeled as race-traitors. You've got to "be" Asian/black/white/Latino or you're obviously ashamed of your identity. Though it tends to turn me off, I can understand the notion of instilling a sense of [insert ethnic background] pride in order to avoid people being embarrassed by their culture. Inevitably, however, when people become too prideful and fascinated with the labels that identify them, it becomes counterproductive. By establishing norms for our cultures, we perpetuate the idea that people should behave in certain ways, even if incorporates the added benefit of positive feelings.

Generally, the people called race-traitors are my favorite people because they create an identity outside of what is expected of them. They are still labeled like anyone else, though perhaps differently, but they command more control of who they are than the average person. Wouldn't you rather create your identity than be born with one?

Though I reject the labels applied to me: white, male, and yes, sometimes Irish, in a lot of ways, I am bound by the them. Perhaps if I were to establish some pride in what it means to be these things, I wouldn't be so reticent to drop them, but I tend to find them too limiting to embrace with any sense of sincerity.

Though I am growing conflicted toward my convictions on the matter, I think I'm going to continue fighting against my cultural labels. Maybe that's just the Irish in me.

No comments: