2007-06-06

People Can Buy Masks of My Face

A couple of months ago, I stumbled upon this brilliant piece of literature by Simon Rich. I'm pretty sure I would be doing humanity a disservice by not sharing it with my nearest and dearest (and strangers similarly stumbling upon this blog.)

A Conversation at the Grownup Table, as Imagined at the Kids’ Table
 
MOM: Pass the wine, please. I want to become crazy.
DAD: O.K.
GRANDMOTHER: Did you see the politics? It made me angry.
DAD: Me, too. When it was over, I had sex.
UNCLE: I’m having sex right now.
DAD: We all are.
MOM: Let’s talk about which kid I like the best.
DAD: (laughing) You know, but you won’t tell.
MOM: If they ask me again, I might tell.
FRIEND FROM WORK: Hey, guess what! My voice is pretty loud!
DAD: (laughing) There are actual monsters in the world, but when my kids ask I pretend like there aren’t.
MOM: I’m angry! I’m angry all of a sudden!
DAD: I’m angry, too! We’re angry at each other!
MOM: Now everything is fine.
DAD: We just saw the PG-13 movie. It was so good.
MOM: There was a big sex.
FRIEND FROM WORK: I am the loudest! I am the loudest!
(Everybody laughs.)
MOM: I had a lot of wine, and now I’m crazy!
GRANDFATHER: Hey, do you guys know what God looks like?
ALL: Yes.
GRANDFATHER: Don’t tell the kids.

Lately, whenever my group conversations seem to veer off the all-important subject of me, I like to throw in "I am the loudest! I am the loudest!" to make my presence known. Additional conversations can be found at The New Yorker.

In this vein, Stacy introduced me to an equally hilarious dialogue between Winston Churchill and Richard Nixon by Matt Passet "as imagined by someone with an American public school education who didn't pay too much attention in school."
NIXON: Hello, I see you're smoking a cigar and wearing a large hat.
CHURCHILL: So I am, young chap. Could I interest you in a cigar?
NIXON: Sure, I think I smoke cigars ... maybe ... I don't know.
(CHURCHILL hands a cigar to NIXON, who bites off the tip and lights it.)
NIXON: We were probably alive at the same time.
CHURCHILL: Indeed, my boy, indeed. I had something to do with World War II and I think maybe you fought in it.
NIXON: I'm not sure if I did.
CHURCHILL: There's not that much more about me that everyone knows.
NIXON: I once held up my hands and formed two peace signs. I was either about to get onto a plane or get off of one.
CHURCHILL: I have seen the photo, because I think there were cameras when I was alive.
NIXON: And what about Watergate? I did that.
CHURCHILL: Margaret Thatcher is someone else from England. She was leader after me.
NIXON: People can buy masks of my face.

For compelling interactions between Christopher Columbus and J.D. Salinger and Adolph Hitler and Abraham Lincoln, check out McSweeney's.

No comments: