2006-01-07

My Two Cents on Two Cents

After greeting my mom this morning, she informed me, "You didn't write your thank you notes."
"You didn't tell me to!" I replied defensively.
"I just assumed you would," she said. Knowing that I'm that both unmotivated and ungracious, that is probably the stupidest assumption she has ever made.

Initially, I didn't understand the sense of urgency, but then I discovered that I only had a couple hours before it was too late... after today, the postage will be raised by two cents! With five letters to compose, were I not to act quickly, I could lose our family a whopping ten cents. Poverty surely looms.

Though I sass a bit, ultimately I'm in support of all acts of cheapness, so I hastily scrawl my gratitude and mail them. I'm sure FDR would have to leapt with joy off of the dime I had just saved, were he not crippled from polio. I suppose there's also the fact that that's merely an imprint of his profile on the coin, but let's not get too technical here.

Later, Moop reported that the post office was especially busy today, with everyone trying to take advantage of the last minute savings. I'm amazed that in a town populated by people living in homes in new developments costing around half a million dollars, two cents matters. Not just amazed, but proud, as would be the pair of Abraham Lincolns on those pennies. Just think, that's twice the emancipation proclamations. Twice the log cabins! And twice the envelopes marked with the Gettysburg Address - complete with thirty-seven cent postage, of course.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha I'm laughing that you wrote "Moop."