2006-01-09

Buried in Struggle


You wouldn't believe the drama in my life recently.

Being the antisocial freak that I am, I've been running through DVDs like Kate Moss with cocaine. Primarily, I rely on the public liberry to support my habit, but when I need my fix during non-business hours, I have to scavenge for survival. In the cabinets, I find the first season of Six Feet Under, which my dad got as some kind of freebie from work. Unsurprisingly, it's still shrink-wrapped. I've heard that it's good, but I don't want to start a television series that I'll never be able to finish. Since I have seen copies available at the liberry, I figure if I am to get hooked, I can keep on rolling. All right then, all systems go. Turns out, I do really like Six Feet Under and I watch the entire first season, thirteen episodes, in a little more than 24 hours. Whoops. Shortly thereafter, I head to the liberry, only to find the second season is checked out and I go Hulkish at this setback. Instead, I decide to borrow the first season of The Sopranos, even though I do not want to watch it. Theoretically, I'd like to see the show, but the last thing I want is to start yet another television show I will not have time to finish. Optimistically, I put the second season of Six Feet Under on reserve at the liberry and pray it will come in before I break down and watch The Sopranos. Later, after returning an undesired Christmas gift to Barnes and Noble, I head to the DVD section to see if the store credit can cover the cost of the second season. Heck, I might even be willing to chip in some extra dough for this purchase. Though I would hate to own something I'm sure I will only watch once, I need to do this to establish some kind of equilibrium in my now crazy life. Well I'll be jiggered! Each season of Six Feet Under costs $99! I'll be damned if my own funeral costs that much! I search everywhere to see if any other DVDs are that ridiculously overpriced, but the second highest amount I can find is $60, meaning that HBO must be smoking those cremated bodies if they think they can charge that amount for a single season. I mean, the show may be good enough to send me into withdrawal, but it's not $99 good. Meanwhile, The Sopranos sits on the table for days, staring at me, taunting me. I swear, the very idea of watching The Sopranos makes me want to vomit. Days pass: I've held strong on not watching The Sopranos, but Six Feet Under has not yet arrived. Out of desperation, I begin searching other towns' liberry catalogues. Most districts have their copies checked out (damn small-town Connecticut and its taste for necrophelia!), but good old Bloomfield has all of the second season, except for disc one. I can't just skip the first two episodes! But damnit! So I make the drive, check out discs two-five, and much to my displeasure I read synopses of the first two episodes so that I'll be appropriately caught up. (Honestly, TV should not involve so much reading!) I watch episodes three and four, I'm feeling good, and suddenly I receive a phone call -- from the liberry. My item on hold is in. Flippin' cripes! I put this viewing off for days, and if I had waited just a couple more hours, I could have watched them all in order. But no, now I don't even care to watch the first two episodes because I already know what happens, thankyouverymuch.

Gosh darn, my life sucks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ever heard of blockbuster?