2011-05-26

I'll Be Famous on TV



I'm having a 90s-themed birthday party next weekend, and as I continuously edit the playlist for maximum quality, nostalgia, and danceability, there's a handful of songs I can't cut, despite my better judgment.

As a kid, the local music store sold some cassette singles for 49 cents. At that price, knowing the song was more important than liking it, even, which is probably how I ended up acquiring "Mouth". Consequently, this song's bouncy beat has been in my head on and off for the past 16 years.

I know the song wants to be alluring and a bit naughty ("Would it be my fault if I could turn you on?"), but the way Merril Bainbrige describes kissing makes it sound remarkably unappealing. (Maybe that's why I put it off for so long.) She might as well quote the Red Hot Chili Peppers and scream, "Suck my kiss!"

So yeah, "Mouth" is stupid, but I'm keeping it on the playlist because I'll be darned if it's not catchy. It's so wrong that it's right, and what better way to describe the '90s? And while it may not turn me on, I can't be positive it won't arouse others... and I'm willing to take that chance if it leads to a possible make-out party.

No comments: