2011-02-22

Holla!-caust

Hey, American adults! Have you heard of the Holocaust? If you think that's a dumb question, have I got a story for you!

Someone made a Nazi reference as a joke, and a guest at my house, a twenty-something female with whom I was not well-acquainted, asked what a Nazi was. I didn't think she was serious at first, but when she said, "Well, like, I've heard of it before, but I don't know..." I realized she wasn't just playing dumb.

"Well, you know what the Holocaust is, yeah?" I asked.
"Ugh! That's something comedians reference all the time, but I don't get it," she said.
"You don't know the Holocaust?"
"It's something really bad, right?"

She figured that out from context clues, so it's not like she's a total moron. That's when it hit me.

"Did you go to California public schools?" I asked.
"Yeah..."
"Well that explains it."

As a former California public school teacher, it is my professional opinion that she is pretty fortunate that she can string a sentence together. Her response to this backhanded compliment?

"Oh yeah, we didn't learn anything. My Spanish final was to watch Patch Adams in English. Then we had to write a paragraph about it... also in English."

5 comments:

Cheeze said...

I went to California public schools and I know what the Holocaust is.

Ted said...

No you don't.

Kevin said...

Are you automatically an idiot if you go to CA public schools? Certainly not. Many schools are good even. But there are plenty of students whose understanding of history extends no further than what happened on Jersey Shore last week.

Just don't ask them to point out New Jersey on a map.

Cheeze said...

But your generalization of idiocy in your original blog post is much more far-reaching than in your follow up comment. Your choice of the word "fortunate" implies that few are not idiots while your subsequent use of "Many" implies much less idiocy.

I know your blog is full of sharp wit and satire. I just want to defend the natives...

Cheeze said...

Ted, what makes you so sure?