2011-02-01

Hoarder Party

I love a good themed party, and I've been kicking around an idea to have a Hoarder Party for a while now.

Here's what I'm picturing:
* My living room filled ceiling-high with stuff and trash
* My kitchen filled ceiling-high with stuff and trash
* My toilet dismantled so that people have to crap in plastic bags

Okay, probably not that last one, but it's something to aspire to. Basically, there will be no practical space for people to party in. They'll be forced to sit and stand amongst heaps of junk, pushing their way through the piles in order to move.

The problem is that this party isn't actually practical. Firstly, I'm not sure that it'd be fun. I mean, I'd get a real kick out of watching people have to endure that, but asking people to try to have fun while lounging in trash might be asking too much. Secondly, I don't have nearly enough stuff to fill my house. If I did, it would already look like a hoarder house. Friends have suggested that all attendees could bring stuff to contribute to the hoarder piles, but mere armfuls won't be enough. I'd have to ask guests to fill their entire car with junk and then move it into my house. Thirdly, there's the issue of the clean up. It's annoying enough the morning after a party to dispose of the cups and beer bottles, I can't imagine the torture involved in clearing a house that was purposefully jam-packed with rubbish. Fourthly, it's got to be a legitimate fire hazard. With exits blocked and a sea of flammable materials, it could be a recipe for disaster and, what's worse, embarrassment. I can already picture the Darwin Award article commemorating the drunk twenty-somethings who died in a mock-hoarder celebration.

As it stands, it looks like I have to abandon my Hoarder Party. If you have any suggestions, however, of how to turn my dream into a reality, it would be greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Egads I haven't read your blog in too long. This is a MONEY idea. I think you should have some hoarder animals running around, like bunnies or rats who have chewed the the wall. Goats with a limp? Ducks that never have seen water? Chickens who cannibalize each other? Dogs with mange? It'd be like a sad petting zoo!