2007-03-16

White Elephant

I'm bad about uploading photos. A good three months later, I've rediscovered pictures from a mid-December evening. Our house had a dress up holiday dinner with gift exchanging that looked like this:




That dinner was pure love. My housemates are the finest people I know.

After the meal, we invited the masses to play a White Elephant game. Earlier, when Shea admit he didn't know what White Elephant was, Kline made up some story about how people would dress up like white elephants and exchange gifts. Shea (rightfully) wasn't sure whether to believe this story, so at the time of the game, a bunch of us emerged wearing white trunks to play along with Kline's ruse. Notably, these "white" trunks were my dirty socks attached to my friends' faces with rubberbands.





We played a twisted version of White Elephant that used a die and kept the fun going for more than an hour. I ended up with this squeeze-and-gobble turkey doll that the dogs would soon devour. On its last day, it no longer gobbled, but rather made an electronic whaling, true to its impending demise. Kat won a set of plastic meat. Mike won holiday mint foot cream. Andrew snagged a can of spam, which is not so impressive when you know that he was the only one competing for that lovely item. Meanwhile, everyone was trying to do eir best not to get stuck with this beauty:

More than a year ago, I bought this piece of yarn art at a thrift store. It was actually but one in a set of five Christmas-themed yarn portraits, but I forced myself to choose just one. I hung it in my apartment for a year, then regifted it to RJ and Andrew as part of an elaborate prank. They must not have liked it, however, since it was contributed back to this game. I think it's pretty funny, but apparently nobody else did. Look at how happy Amber and Shea were when they got rid of the caroling boy.



The happiness was later dispelled, however, when after nearly an hour of trading it back and forth with RJ and Michael Michael, Shea got stuck with it. I think I was the only one excited to have it back in my house's possession. I replaced Amber's oversized quail art with the choir boy, but it was later vetoed when they called him "Blowjob Boy" because of his open mouth. That pretty much ruined his yarn-like innocence to me, and he's been hiding in the garage ever since.

No comments: