2007-03-05

Be a Buddy


My housemates and I have formed a team to walk and raise money for Best Buddies, an organization that develops social networks and opportunities for people with intellectual disabilities. The more I learn about Best Buddies' mission, the more I am impressed with the program. Plus, I'm pretty impressed with one of my most wonderful housemate's (which one is most wonderful? it's impossible to pick a loser in this bunch) involvement with the program, and I'm eager to support this person as well.

While discussing the importance of offering social outlets for individuals with intellectual disabilities, Shea shares a story about a young child with Downs Syndrome that would visit his former place of employment. The kid was immensely cheerful and would hug everyone he would see. At one point, someone gave the child a candy cane, which he apparently loved so much that it ended up covering the entirety of his face. After offering this anecdote, Shea decides that "people with intellectual disabilities have such a good life." When our house's informed voice points out that that's not often true, and that their lives can be good depending on whether they have a caring family and adequate support. Shea counters that "Yeah, but they love candy canes so much!" As good of a point as it was, I fear that that might be oversimplifying things.

Indeed, life isn't just candy canes for people with intellectual disabilities. Keeping that in mind, if you can find it in your heart (and equally so, your wallet) to donate some money to the cause to support people with intellectual disabilities, as well as show support to the housemate I think is just swell, please do so. (DONATE HERE!) I know of other blogs where the writers beg their readers for money for various things, and I find that annoying, but I'm going to give it a go this time around since I find it important. I'd also encourage you to learn more about the organization as a whole. They have some easy, low-time commitment ways to offer some meaningful contact to people with intellectual disabilities. I'm no expert on Best Buddies, but if you have any questions about the organization, I can point you in the direction of someone who can answer them.

Generally I try to end my posts with a joke of some sort, but given the subject matter and my penchant for inappropriateness, I'm going to quit while I'm ahead, and merely thank in advance anyone who aids to the cause.

No comments: