2010-05-12

Lost Update


This show is so meta that it hurts.

Actually, last night's episode of Lost was my favorite of the season. What popular show, in it's third to last episode, doesn't include any of the main characters other than in a quick flashback? One that wants to win me over. After investing so much time in this show, I know it seems crazy that I don't give a crap about any of the characters right now, but I am so over them. It felt great not to see Kate, Sawyer, and those other tormented souls, and I look forward to not seeing them anymore on a regular basis.

Rather than characters, I want answers, even half-answers to the larger mystery. I still like the show, I just don't care about the protagonists; I figure this perspective is how the writers want me to feel since they've de-emphasized the characters. In the first two seasons, this show used to be about its characters; it had some of the best character development ever on television. So go ahead, Lost, take your characters and kill them, ignore them, or whatever. I know it sounds like I'm complaining, but I am legitimately fine with it at this point. It's all about the bigger picture, so let's do it!

But that means when they started killing primary characters off last week, I didn't even flinch. They tried so hard to give Jin and Sun meaningful deaths, but how can that be taken seriously when the moment is a total rip off of Titanic? Besides, those two were an awful couple. Regardless of which dimension they were in, their relationship was always miserable. Each time they decide they love each other, they were separated for long stretches of time and absence made the heart grow fonder. If Jin had spent even five more minutes by Sun's side before drowning, he would proven himself a dick or she would have proven herself ungrateful, and they'd fight and yet again realize that they hardly have the "greatest love of all" like the show tries desperately to convince us of. One of them should have opted to survive rather than dying together considering they have a kid waiting at home. But more on bad parenting in a moment.

Their deaths even more stupid coming just after Sayid's hasty, unceremonious death. I suppose we're supposed to be satisfied since his character so often grapples with good and evil that he went out in a "heroic" blaze of glory. Let's make our prominent Middle-Eastern character a suicide bomber who saves people! Twist! Ugh. May he find eternal joy in heaven with his one true love... Shannon. <3<3 Shayid 4EVER <3<3

Oh, but back to this week's episode. I liked the casting of Zac Efron's little brother as emo smoke monster kid and that West Wing lady as crazy Mother Nature. During the show, Melinda noted, "This show is so-anti mother." "Happy Mother's Day," Matt added. It's true, practically every character on this show has deep-seeded issues that can be blamed on his mother. And if not his mother, than his father. Basically, parents are evil. Good theme, Lost.

I'm not sure I need the redundant black and white imagery. Trust me, even the dumbest viewers get the symbolism by now. They should use that time to show us more somethings we don't know. At least they've reinvigorating my interest by portraying Jacob as pretty daft. Previously I thought he was omniscient, but it's clear that he just lucked into his position and has no real clue as to what's going on. So - maybe all of this show has been pointless? A long series of people doing elaborate things with murky motivations and the joke is not only them, but us? I will be the first to laugh if it plays out that way, and I'm kind of cheering for it at this point.

3 comments:

Alex said...

Have you ever read 'The Longest Joke in the World'?

http://www.innocentenglish.com/best-funny-jokes/longest-joke-ever.html

I'd never heard of it till some internet person said it'd be funny if Lost would end in a similar way

I posted this on Adam's blog too, which might be against blogging ethics, but it's actually more relevant to the content of your post... and I liked this story so much I want you guys to read it in case you haven't already

Ted said...

Lost is awesome. I am offended.

Kevin said...

Don't be offended! I like Lost, too.
But I'm ready for it to be over.