2010-05-16

Embracing Identity Politics

Sasha lives in Arizona. As a good Californian, I considered boycotting her, just as my state is doing to all of Arizona for daring to pass that discriminatory "If you look brown, show us your papers!" law. If they were to enforce a similar law in Los Angeles, this place would look like a ghost town, or maybe Asia. Ultimately, however, I decided not to boycott Sasha. Turns out she even has a Mexican friend! (Apparently, the friend looks white though, so don't judge her.)

Naturally, Sasha is defensive about the situation and got riled up when she read a relevant article. While the article wasn't supporting the recent legislation, it was making a generalization that everyone in the state is bigoted. Both Sasha and her friend decided to write letters to the editor to express their objection.

I read the letters over and her friend's was more powerful, probably due in part to starting the letter with some identify politics, namely the phrase, "as a Mexican-American woman." I found this amusing since, from the person's name, I had assumed this friend was a white dude and had lied to give his letter more credibility. My assumption was wrong, however, because this friend really was a Mexican-American woman. Nevertheless, that didn't take away from the fact that the introduction with identity politics strengthened the argument.

So I offered Sasha some constructive criticism: She should have started her letter by saying that she was "probs gay" as that would add some instant street cred.

In all actuality, I think I would die with joy if I read a letter-to-the-editor that begins, "As someone who is probably gay,..." It's simultaneously brazen and non-commital. And honestly now: aren't we all probably gay?

I also called dibs on blogging this topic, but as soon as I said that, I knew she'd beat me to the punch. She's not only an asshole but a predictable asshole. Probs gay? More like totes gay.

No comments: