2011-09-05

Labor Day

Don't tell anyone, but I worked a little bit today. Some people might consider this blasphemous to work on the holiday, but why do people not work on Labor Day? It's called Labor Day, and you're going to be lazy? If it were up to me, we'd all be working extra hard, and you'd be accountable for being twice as productive as you normally are. Let's champion the American work ethic with some unpaid overtime! Of course, as Ted pointed out, we don't make vets go back to war on Veterans' Day, so maybe my logic is flawed.

I wasn't too productive today, anyway. Unless you count that I spent a lot of time bowling. As Stacy noted, there is no better activity to celebrate blue-collar labor on this special day.

While I'm normally inclined to agree that bowling is not a sport, people who argue this clearly have never bowled thirteen games in a row. By the end, my hand was aching from lifting eleven pounds again and again and I could feel my arm muscles throbbing. I found that bowling might even be a legitimate work-out once I started playing by myself on a lane and had no time to sit down or rest my arm between frames. Talk about laborious!

No comments: