2011-08-22

You've Had Enough

I spoke of the never-ending pasta bowl special yesterday, but it's worth noting that not everything is limitless at Olive Garden.

By the time we were slowing to halt on the pasta-eating front, the manager appeared at our table. I was momentarily concerned that he was going to call us foolish pigs, but instead he had a question for Ted, who had just ordered his fourth beer: "Will you be driving?"

Most of our party had never seen an establishment do this. I've seen something similar twice before: when Pam got drunk at Chili's on The Office and also when the annoying guy next to me on an airplane got so nervous that he drank five whiskies and amusingly/drunkenly told the flight attendant who asked whether he would be driving, "No, ma'am, I'm flying." I give kudos to Olive Garden for being responsible, but if they really cared about our well-being, they would have cut us off of the noodles, too.

Since Ted carpooled and wouldn't be driving, the manager said he'd be happy to bring him a fourth beer. While the manager went to get the drink, Ted admitted that he thought about saying, "I'm not driving, but I am an alcoholic." I would have given all the breadsticks in the world to see that and learn just how much Olive Garden cares.

No comments: