2011-03-02

No One Believes That I'm Pregnant

My friend works at a hospital where it is her job to work with mentally unstable people and nurture their souls with dance therapy. From her stories about patients who swear and shit themselves, however, it seems that there are some people so crazy that no amount of the Macarena can cure them. (Note: I'm not trying to trivialize dance therapy, I just prefer to imagine that people are Electric Sliding their way to mental clarity.)

Her experience that I find the most hysterical is one that involved a patient who was literally hysterical: a woman suffering from hysterical pregnancy. I hadn't realized that this was a real disorder outside of a Glee plot line, but apparently there actually are women who think they are pregnant when they are not. Their psychological belief can be so strong that it'll trigger hormonal and physical changes that mirror a pregnancy even though there's no fetus in there.

This lady with hysterical pregnancy seemed to resent having everyone tell her she's crazy even after she was showing signs of her imaginary pregnancy. While in my friend's dance therapy class, she set out to clear her name. Instead of rationally stating her case, however, she lunged at my friend and screamed, "NO ONE BELIEVES THAT I'M PREGNANT!" emphasizing her point by spraying breast milk on to my friend. Cornered and lactated upon, my friend impulsively said, "I believe you! I believe you!"

I'm with my friend here. If she's crazied herself to the point of producing breast milk, what isn't she capable of? I'd just agree with her claim and see if I could settle her down with a couple verses of the hokey pokey.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Mary Tudor also had hysterical pregnancies. Although they may have been stomach tumors. You're welcome for the fun fact.

By the way, my word verification is "vomishea." Somehow, it seems appropriate.