2009-03-28

A Heart Transplant

One Tree Hill is my favorite television show that I don't watch. When I lived with Amber, she watched it, so I would catch random pieces that would never fail to make me laugh. One Tree Hill is not only poorly written, but poorly executed, making it an enjoyable viewing experience. Once Amber filled me in on some of the ludicrous plot lines, I was upset that this program had been on for five seasons before I caught on to its aw(ful)someness. On one episode I watched, a girl was attacked in her house while readying herself for prom. She is injured, but manages to kill her assailant. No worries, however, as she still pulls it together to go to prom later! From what I can tell, there have been five significant car crashes, including a couple off of the local bridge plunging vehicles into the water below. Now that's a drinking game waiting to happen!

Entranced by the absurdity of it all, I vowed to go back and Netflix the entire show from the beginning. Alas, I didn't even get through the first disc of the first season before I realized I wasn't actually in for that type of commitment, as hilarious as I'm sure it would have proven to be. I have no idea what's been occurring on the show as of late, but I caught a clip via The Soup that begs to be shared as an example of amazingly cheesy television.

For some context, the guy in the hospital gown is the father of the two protagonists, half brothers who are on-again-off-again nemeses. The father is an evil man who disowns his own kids and kills his brother, thus I'm sure his need for a heart transplant is an obvious symbol of how he doesn't have a heart. Let's watch the moments leading up to his surgery:

Bravo! What's even better is that this show is designed for teenage girls, so if message board posts are any proof, they wouldn't know how to laugh at this kind of melodrama if it tickled them. Meanwhile, this clip has made me this close to actually tuning into my favorite show.

7 comments:

lewis said...

i. love. this. show.
seriously,though. i've been involved with it for years.

Kevin said...

What would you say is the funniest story line?

lewis said...

i take the show too seriously to be able to answer that. i didn't even realize how ridiculous the show was until you pointed it at all out...

Kevin said...

Bless you if you can take a dog eating a human heart seriously.

Also, please alert me if something similar happens again!

melinda said...

actually. my uncle died from a dog eating his new heart that was in an unsecured organ ice chest. way to be insensitive!

i'm going to start an online support group and make note of One Tree Hill's sensitivity to the issue.

ha.

lewis said...

IT'S A GOOD SHOW, OKAY?!?!

Alice said...

I didn't come to MM this week so my room mates and I could play a one tree hill drinking game. The dog and the heart is the best thing I've ever seen on TV. Ever.