2009-01-28

Y?

I'm lazy right now, so I'm going to just share a short piece of writing by a former colleague that I first read four years ago and I still think is super clever.

Y?
By DrFunk

Why can't the letter "y" be a full-fledged member of the vowel family? What's with the "and sometimes y" crap? As if the sanctity of vowelhood would be so tarnished if "y" was invited in as a permanent member.

I think "Y" should immediately demand to be made into a full vowel, or it should threaten to become a full time consonant and leave A,E,I,O and U to figure out how to replace it in words like "rhythm" and "why" and "twyndyllyngs" and "sky." Yeah, have fun with that, U, you conceited, self-righteous bastard.

Y is so much more than your average consonant -- it's a question; it's a chromosome; it's a place where it's fun to hang out with all the boys.

F those elitist vowels. F them right in the A.


Via: PlanetSocks.com

No comments: