2009-01-30

The Scoop on Poop

Cecilia and I worked on a crossword puzzle today. It's been a while since I've attempted one, and I forgot how pun-filled and intentionally misleading the clues can be.

Lots of bucks: DEER
Pronoun for the Queen: ROYAL WE
Milk man: SEAN PENN
Location of Adam's apple: EDEN

I was particularly excited to solve the clue which read simply: "Poop." I thought of many synonyms for poop, but nothing seemed to fit. Later, by virtue of filling in every other word, we felt confident that the answer to "poop" was "info." Did they mean to say "scoop" instead? Or perhaps the author couldn't think of a clue right away, then just typed "Poop" as something goofy (I've done that) and forgot to come back and change it.

Having to know, we asked someone to google whether poop made any sense as info. Ey typed in "poop info" and, as we should have foreseen, the results weren't exactly what we were looking for, though we could have learned many facts about poop.

A later, more specific search revealed that "poop" is slang for information. Really? Since when? I better practice this new vocabulary word, then. "This book is filled with poop!" "Dial 411 for poop."

Also, are the two words interchangeable? For example, can I say, "I was so scared that I info-ed my pants"?

If you have any poop on poop, please share.

1 comment:

Quarks to Cosmos said...

The information super highway then becomes the pooping highway right? I love the internet so much more now