2008-05-04

I'm From Barcelona

Formerly, I wasn’t crazy about live music.  Shelling out large amounts of money to witness people sing songs I hear for free on the radio didn’t prove too satisfying.  Then, I became more discretionary in my live music attendance.  After seeing the the Polyphonic Spree, I altered my perspective, realizing that live music could be an amazing experience when it’s an actual show.  While seeing a band stand and play their songs can be dull, seeing a band full on performing is captivating.
 
Having developed an affinity for large, feel-good bands like the Polyphonic Spree , I was instantly drawn to a similar act, I’m From Barcelona, whose music is cheerful goofy, and danceable.  I’m From Barcelona is a 29-member band from - no, not Barcelona, don’t be so literal - Sweden.  I first learned of the band from the video for its first single, “We’re From Barcelona,” which I previously shared with you, and will do again now:

I didn’t have to see the band live to know I’d find it fantastic.  It’s not easy to take 29 people on the road, particularly all the way to the United States, so I jumped at the chance to see them in concert.  Last year, I shared the song “Treehouse” with Amy and ey liked it so much, ey made it eir cell phone ring tone, so Amy was the perfect buddy with which to attend.  Cutting our Margarita Monday a bit short (an act I’ll do only in extreme circumstances), Amy and I drove into Los Angeles to the El Rey for the festivities.
 
Oh golly, they’re great.  I’d probably describe their music as ridiculous before phenomenal, but I’ll be darned if they weren’t root-tootin’ entertaining from start to finish.  We jumped, clapped furiously to the beat, sang nonsense lyrics, and threw balloons and confetti incessantly.  If I’m From Barcelona’s good humor wasn’t evident already in the over-the-top lyrics, it would be apparent from their welcoming nature toward being affectionately pummeled with balloons throughout the set.  Only nineteen people were on stage, an understandable downsizing for traveling to another continent, especially considering a lot of the people in the band are unapologetically just singers/shakers of percussion instruments.  That’s not to say their contribution is meaningless, however; on the contrary, their spunk is contagious and adds immensely to the atmosphere.

It brought Amy and I great joy to see they had a dance for building a treehouse. The band might have reached its goofiest while poignantly singing the refrain to "Chickenpox": "You can't have it once you had it." So true, yet so peculiar.
 
The band was immensely fun to look at, too.  How can it get boring when you have that many people to alternately glance toward?  Plus, they all performed with a laughable intensity, even though they clearly don’t take themselves too seriously.  More than anything, I was obsessed with the band’s personal style.  Each member donned peculiar, yet fun clothing.  The fashion was bright, clashing, and daring.  One woman wore a hideous (read: delightful!) pantsuit and one man bopped around in a full-bodied banana costume the entire time.
 
Naturally, I was crushin’ like crazy.  Between their clothing, grins, and giddy attitudes, I found myself attracted to the Swedish sect.  I’m particularly enamored with the identical öhnell sisters: oversized glasses, facial piercings, and awkward haircuts?  Check, check, and check!

 
Androgylicious!
 
Also crush-worthy is Mattias Johansson, also known as “The Charmer” in the band.  It’s no wonder how he earned the nickname since he’s constantly wearing a contagiously stupid smirk.



 
How do I learn to smile like that? I was digging his red pants which look remarkably similar to a pair I own, when suddenly he turned around while dancing and I noticed something spectacular: a mullet!  Oh sweet heaven!

I'm From Barcelona - Barcelona Loves You
I'm From Barcelona - We're From Barcelona
I'm From Barcelona - Treehouse

No comments: