2006-12-18

The Polyphonic Spree

Ever since early September, I’ve been meaning to recount my experience at the Polyphonic Spree concert with Jenna, Michael Michael, and Alec. Though I’ve attempted to put the event into words a few times previously, I never was satisfied, incapable of capturing the essence of the concert. Today’s attempt will be no different, other than the fact that I am determined to post this before the New Year.

I’m hardly a live music aficionado. Since concerts cost money, I’m generally content to listen to MP3s at home. Furthermore, I often know only a few songs (at best) of most artists, so why would I want to stand through so much unfamiliar music? For this reason, if I’m going to see some random band live, I always hope that it’s a cover band, because then I’ll know the songs.

Though I can’t claim to know many of the Polyphonic Spree’s songs, I have heard they put on a phenomenal show live. The band is made up of twenty-something people playing a spectrum of instruments. The performers came out on stage wearing black Red Cross uniforms and looked hot. While Michael Michael and I were both fond of the guitarist, I was also taken with the trombonist. I think I got a tromboner. (And that, folks, is where the words start to fail me.)

It really has nothing to do with the band’s attractiveness and everything to do with the music. Each performer gives it eir all. The notes surged through my body and being part of that positive energy oozing from the two dozen band members as well as a crowd of hundreds reflecting that same happiness (yeah, Will Smith, happiness is spelled with an “I”.)

Admittedly, the lyrics can get pretty cheesy (“Follow the day and reach for the SUN!”), but it’s to the band’s credit that it becomes entirely believable. I’m a fairly cynical person, but I completely bought into their overwhelming message that the world contains so much goodness. From the first note to the last, the huge smile did not leave my face. Occasionally, I would slip out of my heightened elation to figuratively pinch myself and verify that this moment was really happening. It was.

Halfway through the set, they took a brief intermission to change into their trademark robes, which is how they earn a reputation for being a cult. While I can understand the comparison, if bringing people together to celebrate life and going forth to do good (take note of the usage, Michael Michael) is wrong, I don’t want to be right. Though the Polyphonic Spree was in fact hypnotizing, I took the band’s message to be one of doing what you can to make the world more euphoric, and in the meantime, rather than being disgruntled, enjoy the joy that exists.

My favorite two songs of the set were the interminably peppy “Soldier Girl” and the terrific cover of Nirvana’s “Lithium.” Leave it to the Polyphonic Spree to turn a song that represented a generation’s alienation and rage and turn it into jump-up-and-down merriment.

Coming down from the concert – which truly was more of a life milestone than a concert – was like coming off of drugs. Certainly, I will take any opportunity I have to see this band again in the future.

No comments: