2008-05-16

Y2K

Do you remember where you were when the world nearly ended, December 31, 1999? This past Wednesday, I was invited to a party with one of the best themes ever (recall the circus party?): Y2K.

If there's a better example of unfounded, international paranoia, I can't think of one. Moreover, in the face of potential global annihilation, this event was paired with raucous partying -- a bitchin' combination. In retrospect, I'm not sure how this mayhem was supposed to unfold. At the strike of midnight, society collapses -- one time zone at a time? It doesn't really add up

A mere reference to Y2K is amusing, particularly nearly a decade later. Lindsay's favorite catch phrase of late is in fact "party like it's 1999," as if to indicate that there is no better way to celebrate.

Since Priscilla and Lindsay's apartment is a short distance away, I opted to walk to the party. It was dark, so I put on a silver chain necklace to ward off any potential assailants. Plus, silver chain necklaces were all the rage circa 2000. I arrived to find Priscilla wearing a too-hot-for-words fanny pack, also standard turn-on-the-millenium attire. Sort of.

Shortly after arriving, Corey asked everyone to gather around and share our respective "hopes and fears for the new millennium" and I knew this would be a funny time. We recalled Will Smith and his egotistical approach to Y2K, dubbing it the Willennium. At some point, I accidentally bumped against a switch and turned the lights off, prompting some appropriate hysteria from the fellow party-goers who articulated fears of the apocalypse. And when Amy and clan were late to the shindig, I called and screamed "Our balls are dropping!" a dirty New Years pun that understandably got lost in translation.

As for the music, it was one ridiculous song after another, with everybody getting in the '99 spirit by riding da train. ("Come on ride da train - woo woo - da ride.")

At the stroke of midnight, we screamed "Happy New Year!" undoubtedly perplexing the neighbors. Then we rushed to check our computers -- and our Tamagotchis -- to make sure the technology we hold most dear didn't fail us. Even my beeper worked.

More importantly, the party was still going. Thank goodness, that party was Y2K compliant. We broke out the canned goods we were hoarding in case of an emergency and dined on cold golden corn nibblets.

Since I had to teach the next day, I couldn't stay and party until 2001 like I had hoped, so put my chain on and walked back home. En route, I encountered a Port-a-Potty inexplicably positioned on the side of the road, so of course I used it.

Y2Yay!

No comments: