2007-10-08

America the Ignorant

As much as everyone rags on Miss South Carolina, I must concur with eir belief that U.S. Americans are worse off for not having maps after a couple of experiences of my own.

Today's incident, however, takes the cake:

Student: "Mr. [Kevin], do we live in North America?"
Me: (befuddled that this is even a question) "What?!"
Student: (taking my shock to be a "no" and turning to a friend) "See, I told you we're from South America."

Holy, holy crap. Come to think of it, I'm not sure whether a map would even help someone at this level of global knowledge. Students like this one might still think the world is flat, if they even took the time to consider its shape at all. If I don't send my kids to private school, it's because I don't love them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's south carolina... not south america, right?