2007-02-09

An Alarming State of Mind

I have a new honors student who is neither honors caliber nor is it an honor to know em. Today in class, I offhandedly mentioned my home state, Connecticut.

"Honors" Student: Wait, you're from Connecticut? I could tell.
Me: What does that mean?
"Honors" Student: From your accent.
(It's true, I have a unique accent, but it is not local to any one region.)
Me: You think it sounds like a Connecticut accent?
"Honors" Student: What language do they speak in Connecticut again?
The class erupts in laughter
Me: Are you serious?
Legitimate Honors Student: They speak English! Connecticut is a state!
"Honors" Student: So? Like, France is a state and they speak French there!
Legitimate Honors Student: France is not a state!
"Honors" Student: Oh... and I was feeling smart today.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the public education system is severely underfunded. Consider accepting an increase in taxes so that the next generation does not inadvertently declare civil war against another region it believes to be a foreign country.

I can only do so much!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow thats bad