2007-10-18

70,000

The biggest news in my life as of late is that my car just hit 70,000 miles.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure why I care. I don't have any particular affection for my car like some people. It's a car. It transports me. It's a device that helps me accomplish a task, much like a can opener. I have no special affection for my can opener either, for that matter. (If anyone does have affection for eir can opener, let me know, I find that fascinating.) If anything, I think celebrating a feat in driving is wrong in that it is not environmentally responsible to champion pollution. Forgive me, Melissa Etheridge.

For me, the achievement itself is not as important as the round number. We mark milestones by its correspondence to powers of ten. Consequently, 70,000 is admirable for concluding with a whopping four zeroes.

I missed paying attention to my car's change to 60,000. I told myself I would be conscious of 66,666, but I somehow got distracted (probably by paying attention to the road or some shit) and suddenly found myself at 66,667. Hence, I was determined not to miss 70,000 when the time came.

On my way home from work on Monday, I got nervous. With 70,000 fast approaching, I didn't want it to happen on my commute back from work. Granted, that's when I accrue most of my miles, but I hardly wanted to celebrate this milestone in such a mundane fashion. Fortunately, I made it home with less than two miles to spare. Fortuitously, this allowed me to reach the 70,000 landmark en route to Margarita Monday. Now there's a way to celebrate.

The reason I knew it was meant to be was that the odometer changed to 70,000 miles exactly as my car entered the parking lot. The universe worked overtime to help cause that happen.

Because I know you're as excited about the event as I am, I've commemorated it with some photos:




Margarita Mondays was fun, too. It's gotten colder and our attendance has dropped to about nine of us, but it's still a good a time as ever. Since I had my camera, I took some photos of the big night.




Anna and I also engaged in this ridiculous photo shoot:





As you can see, in honor of the evening, we also had 70,000 margaritas.

Oh, Mondays. You really are the best day of the week.

1 comment:

R.J. said...

It took me like an entire day, but I finally figured out who is on the left in that first photo, its my sister!