2007-10-21

Trader Joe's Jubilee

If I were to make a time line of the most important events ever in my life, September 30, 2007 at 5:57 PM would make the short list.

For my birthday, my Ant Chrissy bought me a gift card for Trader Joe's. It took me a while to use it, but when I finally did, it was positively amazing. I didn't need too much: some bread, cheese, and meat for sandwiches; milk; corn; and a couple of impulse buys. Throughout my spree, I did not make any attempt to calculate how much I was spending in my head. While in the checkout aisle, I was delighted to find my grand total came to exactly $25.00. What a nice round number and pleasant surprise. I couldn't have hit that number so perfectly again if I tired. When I pulled out my gift card, the cashier asked how much it was for. "Maybe $25," I suggested. "Wouldn't that be great?" I was genuinely hopeful. The cashier ran it through and it was in fact $25. I emitted a triumphant squeal. "I should get a prize or something," I said smiling with satisfaction. The cashier seemed pretty indifferent to the MOST AMAZING THING THAT'S EVER HAPPENED. Asshole.

"Have you ever seen this before?" I asked, looking for some sort of validation. "I don't know," the cashier said. "I'm going to start working at Starbucks next week instead." Firstly, I didn't ask about the future, I asked about the past. Secondly, I'm glad the cashier is taking that sour attitude to a place I don't shop. This employee clearly worked at Trader Joe's (and now Starbucks) for the trendy, mainstream factor rather than the friendly, vaguely hippy-esque environment. No matter, I wasn't going to let one apathetic cashier kill my high. It may have just been $25, but it felt like at least $25 million.

No comments: