2007-02-13

That'll Teach Me to Question a Technological Utopia

Sorry about the infrequency of my posts currently, my computer is dead. On Monday, my computer and I were having fun one moment, and then it died the next. The screen went entirely white. What a racist. The unfortunate part was I spent the entirety of my day writing a lengthy paper for graduate school that is due in two weeks. For once, I did not resort to utter procrastination, and I’ll pay for it by probably losing the paper altogether. That’ll teach me.

Not having a computer causes quite a blow to my life on both a personal and professional level. Yet I’m not nearly as upset for myself as I am for you, my dear readers. Without easy internet access, you will have to wait longer to learn every last detail of my life. For shame!

Today, I took my computer to the Apple store and the Genius (that’s what they call their repair workers) deemed my laptop in need of being sent away to some undisclosed location to be fixed. I’m not quite sure where this magical land is or just how many elves will be tinkering at my computer and noticing I have an unusually large number of Ace of Base songs on my iTunes.

I’ve gone through this experience before. At about finals time two years ago, I had my computer quit on me. I lost everything I had, technology-wise. All of my writing, a large collection of mp3s, obscure saved links, years worth of digital photographs. Though it was initially devastating, I eventually credited it to a grand lesson on “letting go.” That seemed to make it all okay - besides, isn’t a character-building experience so much more important than everything you worked for four years?!

So while I learned my lesson in letting go, I never seemed to learn the lesson of “backing your files up,” because I didn’t do that this time either. For a fee, Apple said it could recover my files for me, which I gladly accepted. I’ve learned enough about letting go that I know I don’t want to go through it twice. I swear, if even one hair on “All That She Wants” is harmed, I will freak out and cry.

Where is my cybernetic meadow?

No comments: