2007-02-19

A Busy Freeway

I'm not sure whether I'm the last to hear this joke, but my student interrupted class to share it, so I might as well share it with you as well.

How do you get a man with no arms and no legs* to cross a busy freeway**?
I don't know, how?
I'll give you a hint. Take the "F" out of "free" and the "F" out of "way."
Wait say that again, I think you messed up.
I said, take the "F" out of "free" and the "F" out of "way."
But there's no "F" in "way!"
Exactly, there's no f-in' way!

I laughed a lot at this joke, actually. As a language teacher, I feel I should approve of nerdy word jokes, even if they border on the inappropriate.

* This is where I stepped in to at least turn the interruption into what we in the biz call a "teachable moment" and explained that such a person would be called a quadriplegic.

** Only now does it occur to me that a busy freeway might be easier to cross than a semi-busy one, seeing as standstill traffic would be safer to maneuver through than mobile vehicles.

No comments: