2011-06-09

Nippers


I first encountered Nippers' sign a few years ago while in Pasadena, and I haven't stopped talking about it since. Yes, I'm serious, and yes, I'm that boring of a person apparently.

Please note that it's not Nippers Salon, but Nippers "...It's a Salon". I understand the need to communicate that it's a salon, since the Nippers name itself doesn't cut it (pun!), but why is that part in quotation marks? Is "It's a salon" a popular movie quote I'm not familiar with? Did some celebrity endorse Nippers with a tepid, "It's a salon"?

And what's with the ellipsis? What are they leaving out that came before it's a salon? "This used to be a roach infected drug den, but now it's a salon." "We do run a prostitution ring out of the back, but as far as the police are concerned, it's a salon." The more I stare at these quotation marks, the less I'm convinced that Nippers is a salon at all.

Maybe the sign exists because when the owner tells people he has a place called Nippers, they give him a blank stare and he has to explain, "... It's a salon."

Clearly, I have a lot of questions. If someone wouldn't mind giving Sonny Hughes a call at (626) 304-9768 and interrogating him about his sign, I'd really appreciate it.

No comments: