2009-02-15

It's a Nice Day for a...

I don't much mind sitting in the backseat of a car. Perhaps it stems all the way back to DARE when one of those blood-on-the-pavement drunk driving videos called the front seat the "suicide seat" because that is the place that people are most likely to die in car accidents. Or perhaps it's because I like to pretend I'm Jessica Tandy in Driving Miss Daisy. Either way, since I don't ultimately mind, I never play the "shotgun" game, in which whoever calls out the word "shotgun" first gets to sit in the front seat. Even when I think of it before anyone else, I still won't call it, because I just might be the nicest person in the world.

Last night, after boozing it in downtown Vegas, several of us headed back to the car to switch venues. En route to the car, Allison and Matt were singing their best rendition of Billy Idol's "White Wedding." Eager to join in on the harmony, I pre-emptively sang out the lyric that Idol so emotionally shouts in reference to his pregnant sister's poorly conceived nuptials, "Shot Gun!"

Melinda looked at me perturbed, explaining that ey was just about to say that. I was confused since everyone was allowed to sing. "You can have it," Melinda said. "Have what?" I asked. "Shotgun," Melinda clarified. It suddenly dawned on me: I had called shotgun. After years of never calling shotgun, I had just accidentally done so. As we reached the car, deciding it must be fate, I took my rightful place in the front seat, enjoying the prize I unwittingly earned.

Yet again, I owe countless gratitude to Billy Idol.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The best part is that I was playing the shotgun game and when you called it, I still "let" you have it. I have power issues.