2009-02-19

Family Circus

While I no longer keep up with the daily comics, I still have hostility toward Family Circus. It's not clever, it's not funny, it's just coasted by for nearly fifty years solely on the basis of being "cute." It does have its audience, I suppose, consisting of knock-knock joke enthusiasts, the barely literate, and the elderly. That's right, many old people love Family Circus because it is offensively inoffensive and no thought is necessary to discern the joke, if a joke is even present at all. That is why I once made it a point to bring up Family Circus to Roy, the former minister with Alzheimer's who took a shining to animal homosexuality.

Yesterday, I received a card from my grandmother that inexplicably included a Family Circus cartoon. I ended up laughing a lot, but not at the cartoon itself.


In case you can't decipher the handwritten message below the comic, it reads: "We had blueberries under our refrigerator the other day."

Did she still want to eat them or something? Oh, Grammie, you're so much more adorable than Family Circus will ever be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what! i didn't get a card from grammie!! how come you got one??