2008-12-20

Favorite 50 Songs of 2008

It’s become an annual tradition to share my favorite songs of the year with you. This year I’ve posted the files of the music so you can sample the songs and/or download the ones you like by clicking on the player. OR, if you trust/correspond with my taste enough, maybe you’d prefer to just download all 50 songs in one big package deal. That’ll take a little while to download, but then you won’t have to click them all individually and you’ll have them all to peruse at leisure. At any rate, I hope you enjoy:

Kevin’s Favorite 50 Songs of 2008


50. Hey (Shut the Fuck up, Boy) – Peter Bjorn and John


In 2007, Peter Bjorn and John had a monstrous hit with “Young Folks.” At the conclusion of 2008, I’m liking this foul-mouthed song from their newest album, to be released in 2009.

49. Going On – Gnarls Barkley

While they might not be as ubiquitous as they were in 2006, Gnarls Barkley still produce tracks to which I love to dance and smile.

48. The Twist – Frightened Rabbit

Make no mistake: this ain’t no Chubby Checker cover. The hook from this Scottish band might be just as catchy, although in an entirely different way.

47. Be Ok – Ingrid Michaelson

So catchy it borders on annoying, “Be Ok” is well-intentioned and vulnerable enough to make it an underdog favorite of mine.

46. Touch the Hem of His Garment – Basia Bulat

I love Bulat: she’s brilliant. Last year she earned a top 10 placement on my list, and this year her sole release is commendable as well.

45. Each Year – Ra Ra Riot

Ra Ra Riot is a peppy young band out of Syracuse, New York that put out a solid album this past year. I hope to catch them live at some point soon.

44. Half a Person – The Welcome Wagon

You’ll see more from the Welcome Wagon much higher on the list. In the meantime, I like how they’ve covered this song from the Smiths, pepping it up and making it significantly less scary.

43. Acid Tongue – Jenny Lewis

Though I found her latest work with her band Rilo Kiley to be disappointing (admittedly, I had high expectations), Lewis demonstrates herself capable of still writing great music.

42. Run – Gnarls Barkley

“Run” is a second good track by Gnarls Barkley from their latest release.

41. Time to Pretend – MGMT

The first of three MGMT tracks, the breakout stars of the year. Rightfully so, too, since they’re original and fun.

40. One (Blake’s Got a New Face) – Vampire Weekend

My favorite songs from Vampire Weekend, “Oxford Comma” and “Walcott” charted last year, when I described them as up-and-coming. Oh, remember the time! This one’s fun, too, though, and it’s about plastic surgery! Actually, probably not, but the lyrics are ambiguous enough to leave wiggle room… Speaking of lyrics, as I’ve mentioned previously, the last two lines, “Oh, your collegiate grief has left you dowdy in sweatshirts. Absolute horror!”, are genius.

39. Me And You – Slow Club

This tune is giddy songified. Scream, clap, and stomp. I love a blend of male and female vocals, especially when it turns to call-and-response.

38. Run to Your Grave – The Mae Shi

Repetitive, innocuous, and goofy. Screaming never sounded so good.

37. 2 Atoms in a Molecule – Noah and the Whale

These Brits make some fun folk rock jams. Look for them again much higher on the list.

36. Electric Bird – Sia

Demonstrating her amazing vocal talent, Sia trills her way through this pretty song.

35. Better Than This – Keane

This isn’t your father’s (read: whiny) Keane. If you only are familiar with their former big hit and interminable downer “Somewhere Only We Know” than you’re missing out on the cheesy pop fun these guys are capable of.

34. Blind – Hercules and Love Affair

This out-and-out dance club song is inexplicably entrancing. With a good beat and bizarre vocal work, it’s certainly memorable.

33. Dance Dance Dance – Lykke Li

Swedish indy sensation Li has a cute-as-a-button voice. It doesn’t get more saccharine (yet non-carcinogenic) than this song. She’s adorable, she’ll grow on you.

32. Handlebars - Flobots

An angry, simple, catchy hook: think Eminem, without the negative associations.

31. Cold Shoulder – Adele

Adele has a stunning, unique voice in the Amy Winehouse vein (Jocelyn tells me that they both attended the same school, so it might not be a coincidence), which has earned her four Grammy nominations. While her big hit is “Chasing Pavements,” I’m partial to this one, as it has a bit more action.

30. Sea Lion Woman – Feist

Following up having two songs on my 2007 list, Feist scores again with this clap-along ditty.

29. Calabria 2007 – ENUR & Natasja

I’m later than Natasja Saad (RIP, girl!) on this one. Even though the title indicates that it was remixed and re-released in 2007 (it’s been around since 2003), it didn’t top the US dance charts until 2008, so I’m including it. While preparing this chart, I looked back at last year’s chart and noticed Preston asked in the comments section “where’s Calabria 2007?” Truth is, I wasn’t familiar with it yet. Well, Preston, it’s here now, saved for 2008, as it was always destined to be.

28. Bottle It Up – Sara Bareilles

She’s not going to write you a love song. Actually, she just did. But this one is better than last year’s chart-topper, “Love Song,” so, you know, forgive her.

27. Ultimatum – Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy is an acquired taste, and now that I’ve acquired it, I’m totally on board. His voice is so proper and regal, it took me a dozen listens before I realized that this song is fairly dirty.

26. Bruises - Chairlift

“Bruises” is indy cuteness to exponential powers. The vocals are unique and understated, and when she hits that one note, it’s like nothing I’ve ever heard before.

25. Human – The Killers

“Are we human or are we dancer?” ask the Killers. If that’s an attempt to be profound, it fails. Nevertheless, after my initial dismissal, this song continues to grow on me, even if the lyrics do not.

24. Disturbia – Rihanna

Following up her #1 hit on my favorite songs of 2007, “Umbrella,” Rihanna “Disturbia” released this haunting electronic dance smash.

23. Let It Rain – The Courtesy Line

I’m not sure I can articulate what catapults this song from every other indy rock song to greatness, but it has a certain catchiness that lingers in my head for days.

22. Electric Feel – MGMT

MGMT does, in fact, “shock me like an electric eel.” This song serves up some unapologetic campy fun.

21. Stalker – Lous XIV

If the title weren’t indication enough, this song is creepy – yet catchy. This band tends to strive for offensive material.

20. I Wish That I Could See You Soon – Herman Dune

Playfulness abounds in this tune about long distance love, particularly the call-and-response between the lead singer and his “angels.”

19. I Could Say – Lily Allen

With soulful vocals laid with a good dance beat, this song is from Allen’s next album, to be released this coming February. In fact, I enjoy all five of the leaked tracks I’ve found thus far, prompting me to feel sorry for making such an offensive comment.

18. I’m Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance with You – Black Kids

Even if they refuse to teach you the steps, I dare you not to dance to this song. I dig the flippancy, beat, and gender ambiguity.

17. Black Fur – Fredrik

This is my lullaby of 2008. These Swedish voices come together to make something pleasant yet soothing.

16. But for You Who Fear My Name – The Welcome Wagon

A reverend and wife make up The Welcome Wagon. Their new album Welcome to the Welcome Wagon was produced by Sufjan Stevens and the influence is evident. I am so into the harmonizing and hand claps here.

15. Sex on Fire – Kings of Leon

I didn’t get this song at first. A “sex on fire” metaphor is obvious, if not completely dumb. But the singer’s voice is crisp and unique, I wish I could sound that sultry.

14. I Stand Corrected – Vampire Weekend

The one ballad-esque song by Vampire Weekend is also one of my favorites. After skewering pompous and pretentious people throughout their CD, Vampire Weekend delicately attempts to “apologize” to them.

13. Lost! – Coldplay

Truthfully, I didn’t want to like the new Coldplay album. I thought Coldplay had reached a Dave Matthews Band level where although people are paying fortunes to see their concerts, it’d be easy to ignore them. I’m glad the band found ways to reach me in spite of my other intentions. The strong yet uncomplicated backing beat is contagious.

12. You, Me, & the Bourgeoisie – The Submarines

This song is catchy enough to have it’s intro played in an Apple ad; I think they should have included the vocals, too, because they compliment the track well. When I close my eyes, I could swear I’m listening to the Cardigans. That’s a good thing, by the way. Bonus point for using the word “bourgeoisie.” Additional bonus point for not saying “bougey.”

11. Ottoman – Vampire Weekend

“Ottoman” is not on their debut LP, but part of the Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist (despite starring Michael Cera, I seem to have intentionally missed that one) soundtrack. The music is still good, intelligent, and self-referential, providing promise that Vampire Weekend will have a long, relevant career.

10. New Soul – Yael Naim

This song exhibits some genuine personality that is rare to find in music. The best song by an Israeli since “Hava Nagila.”

9. Tane Mahuta – The Ruby Suns

The instrumentals are peppy. I don’t need to understand the lyrics for the infectious tune to make me happy.

8. Song Across the Sea – Casper & the Cookies

Stripped down to a refreshingly sparse level, I find the lyrics haunting – and that’s not just a pun for the band’s name.

7. American Boy – Estelle & Kanye West

Just as West’s public antics were overriding my respect for his talent, he teams with Estelle to make the most exciting mainstream song of the year.

6. Night – Roommate

This is a cover of a song by (the?) Rhombus, but, try as I might, I can’t track down the original. No matter, as it’d be hard to top the whistling, chorus of voices that descends into a round, and subtly amusing lyrics.

5. Viva la Vida – Coldplay

This song is epic, and as I mentioned for Coldplay’s other song on this list, it surged into my head despite my prejudice.

4. Shape of My Heart – Noah and the Whale

I cannot pinpoint what about this song endears itself to me so, but it does. Between the horns and the passion served light-rock style, I’m convinced.

3. Sold! To the Nice Rich Man – The Welcome Wagon

Talk about plastering a smile on my face. This band is my happiest discovery late in 2008. So much is happening in this song, and yet I still want more.

2. Kids – MGMT

If you had told me that I would fall head over heels for sound effects of kids screaming over electronica, I’d laugh in your face. Leave it to MGMT to record a danceable tune that captures the fun and freedom of childhood.

1. I’ll Be Glad – Bonnie “Prince” Billy

I’m struck by the soulful simplicity of the music and lyrics. Less is so much more here that it emerged from nowhere to become my favorite song of the year. It’s all about the last twenty seconds, with the rush of harmonizing voices yielding a mix of emotions. Beautiful.

There they are. Again, you can download all 50 songs at once if you’re so inclined. Also don't hesitate to react, argue, or even list your own favorite songs of the year. I'd love to hear what I've been missing out on.

4 comments:

lewis said...

obviously i can't commit to anything - especially reading and listening to all of that. but i will make the following comments:

1. regarding jenny lewis, the last rilo kiley album was GREAT. give it another shot. it's their best work yet. fleetwood mac meets heart. i love it. as for acid tongue (the entire album), the next messiah is not only the best song, but it is, without a doubt, the greatest song of the year.

2. anything rhianna touches is gold. plus she has great skin. i love rhianna. disturbia is a great track.

3. lily allen is under appreciated in this world. i think she is absolutely brilliant and that her new album will be one of the top 10 of 2009. i can't wait for it.

4. she & him not making an appearance? seek that out. album of the year.

Anonymous said...

"Nick and Norah" is Michael Cera's finest film yet, as far as I'm concerned. This is my finite (top 10) playlist for 2008, as it stands, with only one song per artist so none of them get too spoiled:

10. Dennis Wilson and Taylor Hawkins - 'Holy Man'
9. The Mars Volta - 'Goliath'
8. M83 - 'Graveyard Girl'
7. Scarlett Johansson with David Bowie - 'Falling Down'
6. TV on the Radio - 'Halfway Home'
5. Portishead - 'Threads'
4. One Day As a Lion - 'Wild International'
3. Deerhunter - 'Neither of Us, Uncertainly'
2. The Ruby Suns - 'Morning Sun'
1. Spiritualized - 'Borrowed Your Gun'

And my favorite music video of the year, although I haven't seen that many, is

Janelle Monae - 'Many Moons'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy-ugv9kxG0

It has been deemed (by me) "the 'Captain Eo' of our time"

Kevin said...

Lewis: I can't get into She & Him, mainly because I find Zooey's vocals shrill.

Alex: I like Janelle Monae a lot -- if I had done a Top 60, "Many Moons" probably would have been included. I agree with your Captain Eo reference; when I first saw her performance, I found it reminiscent of Andre 3000.

lewis said...

ohhh and although the album technically came out in 2007, i'm going to tell you to listen to nicole atkins. hands down the best album i've bought in the last few years.