2008-12-10

Degree Mastered

Suppose you spent nearly two years and $40,000 on a Masters program. After writing hundreds if not thousands of pages of tedious essays and committing yourself to living in debt for years to come, don't you suppose you'd frame and cherish your diploma?


Or... while looking for a scrap piece of paper, would you turn the diploma over to scrawl a "be right back" note about housework?


Now that you already written on it, would you then scrawl an angry missive about your significant other's parent, before thinking better of it and subsequently tearing it off to destroy the evidence?


Look at that respect for higher education. Don't worry - that's not mine, I think I gave my graduate school diploma to my parents or something. That said, as someone who has been on the job market for a lengthy period of time, I've come to wonder whether my degree is worth the paper it's printed on. At least this friend is putting that to the test -- and putting it to good use!

No comments: