2006-02-09

Kazaam!

So after years of wearing my
Kazaam backpack, Alex finally convinced me it was time to see the movie and not be such a fake. Being cheap, rather than going to a video rental store, I obtained the film from a public liberry a few towns away. Thank you, La Verne Public Liberry, for sharing this cinematic masterpiece with your residents, as well as those from neighboring towns.

Before I knew it, the event turned into a spectacle. During a planning session for which I was not present, it was decided that we would rent out the auditorium to screen the movie and invite everyone from school to join us. Imagine my surprise when I found the following email, sent to the entire student body:

Dear Pitzer,
   Tonight, Kevin [Last name here] will be showing "Kazaam!" in Avery Auditorium at about 11 pm.  Bring your friends and family.
 
The skinny:
"Kazaam!"
Avery Auditorium, 11 pm.
Bring your friends.
Free & conveniently timed to start after the Women's Center party.
 
   The low-down:
"It's Shaq-a-licious".  It's a movie starring Shaquille O'neil as a rapping genie.  What more can be said?  An ancient rapping genie.  Including my favorite scene where a kid wishes for candy up to the sky, but it's all one brand.  It's product placement.  I think they're Skittles."
  - Alex, Holden Hall
 
"Regards."
 - Amelia, Mead Hall
 
                        -Andrew




And yes, the email included that picture embedded in it, meaning it probably killed everyone's mailbox size limits immediately. Oh well. My friends are funny.

Unfortunately, the projector wouldn't show a VHS tape properly, so Kazaam was unable to be screened. Surprisingly, a few random people had shown up, so it was a bit disappointing to let them down. Fortunately, we showed the first five chapters of R. Kelly's Trapped in the Closet instead, much to the delight of the masses. Oh, R. Kelly, sometimes you're all right when you're not peeing on teenagers.

No comments: