2006-02-21

I'm Back

Raise your hand if you thought I was dead.

Sorry for abandoning you, needy friends, but I have less than a month until my thesis rough draft is due, and I've made a rule with myself that any day I do significant writing for it, I take the day off from blogging, hence my absence.

This past week, I had a video project due. Though I thought I was prepared, apparently, in production, some audio files got crossed and the narration I had prepared was replaced with a Chinese woman speaking in broken English about acupuncture. While initially amusing, this problem led to a few-hour-long ordeal of trying to remedy the situation to no avail. No matter how many times the computer promised not to play the Chinese woman when I burned the piece to DVD, it still came out with the same incorrect audio.

After class, I chose to listen to my film with the new narration to see if it might be entertaining in a new way. Unfortunately, she is one of the most boring people to ever be recorded. Her dad was a dentist, so she wanted to be a dentist, but her dad wanted her to be an acupuncturist instead, so she did that so as not to upset her father. It doesn't get much more interesting than that.

When playing it back for Andrew, he exclaimed, "I know that woman!" Initially, I gave him one of those incredulous glares, but as it turns out, while studying abroad in China, he also interviewed this same doctor about Eastern medicine. This may not be Disney World, but it is a small world after all.

No comments: