2010-12-29

A Sticky Situation

Did you read the news about the woman who accidentally put superglue in her eye after mistaking the bottle for her eye drops? That woman is my aunt!

Okay, that specific woman who made headlines is not my aunt. But it might as well have been because the exact same thing really did happen to my aunt. My aunt was just fortunate enough not to have her family report her story... until now!

Earlier this year, my aunt took her glasses off while crafting, then blindly reached for eye drops. Mistakenly, she grabbed the similarly sized superglue bottle and squeezed it into an eye. Immediately, she realized her error but was helpless to do anything as the glue hardened on her eye. She screamed and the only other person home, her daughter, called 911.

When the young EMTs arrived, my aunt, a teacher, noticed with her good eye that they were former students of hers, which added embarrassment to injury. Moreover, these EMTs appeared to be paying more attention to her underdressed daughter than her eye.

At the hospital, they flushed her eyes out and she escaped with no permanent damage, which is great. However, I do wish that since she managed this "impressive" feat before cyclops Irmgard Holm did, she received some of the notoriety, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL I know another teacher that did the same thing (mistaking nail glue for eyedrops). She was actually an instructor at my teacher's college. She was so stupid and this story added fuel to our gossip fire. A teacher many student-teachers taught with on our teaching practitcums relayed the story to us. Back when that teacher was in teacher's college they eye-gluer missed her student's evaluation (for which student teachers nightmarishly prepare) due to the incident.