2010-09-30

Smoosh



I’ve started this post about three times, only to delete it out of fear that I’m coming across too pervvy. Maybe it’s just impossible to talk about attractive teenage girls without looking like a creeper. So just accept my apologies up front and rest assured that the only things I want to see these young girls bang are their drums and keyboard.

I’m talking about the band Smoosh. Kat and Alex first introduced me to the band in 2005 after seeing them open for Mates of State. At the ages of 10 and 12, the pair of sisters recorded a great album. Sure, part of it is grading them on a curve after taking into account their ages, but I also genuinely enjoy their music and talent. Though I was first attracted to the juvenile whimsy on "Rad," I am even more impressed with how their sound has matured over the years.

When they played on my computer’s shuffle today, I wondered just how much they matured age-wise. So, yeah, I looked up their ages. And, yeah, I learned that the keyboardist is finally 18, which, yeah, is the age of consent in most states. But I wasn’t looking specifically for that reason. Besides, I like the drummer better anyway.

If you’re not familiar with them, they’re a lot like Hanson: a young band that writes its own songs and is comprised of siblings with long blond hair. The Smoosh girls could actually be plucked into a Hanson family photo, and no one would be the wiser. Remember when “MMMBop” first debuted on MTV and everyone went into 7th grade the next day talking about the Hanson girls? The girl part was sort of a joke, because we knew that one or two of them were actually boys with long hair, but we legitimately thought that the little one was a girl, so the joke ended up being on us. It’s like that. Except that the Smoosh girls are really girls. At least I think. I don’t know for sure, I haven’t like checked-checked because, again, I’m not a perv.

In 2007, I had the opportunity to see Smoosh play live at Kohoutek, and it was great. I think the girls were a bit shell-shocked by the fact that hundreds of college kids were dancing and boozing just feet away from them while showering them with love. The keyboardist was just old enough to impulsively act cool and disinterested by it all, but the drummer just had a huge smile plastered on her face the whole time, adoring the unprecedented adoration.





Anyway, Smoosh is amazing and if you weren’t previously familiar with the band, you should definitely check out their music.

No comments: