2010-06-15

Nice Shoes

While I try to avoid talking to people I don't know when I don't have to, my friend Joan has no fear chiming in with her opinion to strangers, no matter the situation. Freshmen year of college, we were at one of those typical gross dorm parties where your feet stick to the ground because of all the spilled liquor. We pushed our way through the writhing masses who were freak dancing to Top 40 songs toward a corner where we hoped to find a seat on a couch. Though we spotted a couch, it was otherwise occupied with a couple who was hardcore making out.

I saw Joan stare at them, and became instantly frightened as I heard her say, "Hey!" I wanted to tell her to leave them alone, but the words didn't come out before Joan repeated, "Hey!" The kissers were far too caught up in each other to even notice, so Joan resorted to tapping the girl on the knee and saying "Hey!" yet again. Finally, the girl came up for air to determine what was going on.

Now that Joan had her attention, she smiled sweetly and said, "Nice shoes!" "What?" the girl asked.
"I like your shoes," Joan responded.

I had anticipated Joan asking them to shove over and make room for the rest of us, since that's well within her character, but apparently, all Joan wanted to do in this instance was let the girl know she had nice shoes. Delivering this compliment to a stranger was so important, it was worth interrupting her hook-up.

This is why Joan is awesome.

No comments: