2009-07-06

As Seen on the Internet

As dedicated as I am to this blog, sometimes I submit content to other websites.

In March, I was a runner-up in Overheard in New York's headline contest.  What an awful pun!  But I did get linked by one of the web's most popular blogs, so it works for me. 

Last month, my submission to The "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks was posted.




















There is a restaurant/rest stop called the Mad Greek midway between Los Angeles and Las Vegas, a fact you would never forget since billboards advertising The Mad Greek practically line the route between these two cities.  I finally decided to give the place a try and was pleased to discover this sign posted.  I could give the quotation marks around "GODS" a pass if the author's perspective is that the gods didn't really exist, but I don't know how to justify the "YOU" part.  Talk about serving up an existential crisis!

Yesterday, I snapped another photo:
















Good luck buying a flag there! I'll let y'all know if it is accepted down the road.

The last link I'll provide dates all the way back to 2002 when the fine staff of my idol, David Letterman, selected my entry as a winner for a top ten contest. I never watched Star Wars so I fell back on referring to the actual blockbuster at the time, Spiderman. I submitted a few different quotes that week, and I recall believing that the one picked was the worst of the lot, but whatever, I won an official t-shirt which I wore with pride for years to come.

New content tomorrow, I promise!

4 comments:

Rayne said...

Unfortunately, the link to Letterman is truly hosed. :)

Kevin said...

Fixed, thanks :)

Rayne said...

haha good one!

KirstB said...

Despite hilarious signage, the Mad Greek sucks soooo much. My cousin and I unfortunately stopped there on the way to Death Valley and we vowed to disgrace its name all over the internet...
Mad Greek.. boooooooo....