2008-03-04

Oasis vs. Beatles

A student asks, “Mr. [Kevin], who’s better, The Beatles or Oasis?”
“I like them both,” I respond, unable to resist laughing a bit at the funny inquiry.  “Who do you like better?”
“Definitely Oasis.”
“Why?”
“They’re just way better.  Plus, the Beatles only had a few good hits.”
 
I adamantly disagree with the last assertion, but hesitate on giving my final decision.  I grew up with both bands.  As a kid, I heard a lot of the Beatles from my parents; as a teenager, I bought the Oasis CD on a band trip in Canada and it was a remarkable influence in my life. 
 
At this student’s age, I would have said definitely said Oasis.  In this instance, however, I instead side with the Beatles, a choice that upsets my students.  In truth, I’m not sure why that was the decision that escaped my mouth.  But, I mean, they’re The Beatles, right?  They’re prolific, monumental, and multi-faceted.  Despite the Gallaghers’s claims to the contrary, it’s hard to say Oasis is bigger than the Beatles.
 
9th grade Kevin would be disappointed in my decision.  Drunk college Kevin, who screamed Oasis at the top of eir lungs in monthly Oasis sing-along sessions, would also be disappointed.  And now, twenty-four-year-old teacher Kevin is also disappointed.  Maybe I chose it to be a contrarian, but I think the more likely situation is that I’ve gotten old.  Old people choose the Beatles.  I might as well have followed up my opinion by taking out my false teeth.
 
Why do I so strongly desire to be youthful, yet consistently make adult decisions?  These sorts of debates are meant to be silly and perhaps incite a flippant argument or two, not beat you up days later.  What’s worse is that I can’t even say I made the wrong decision – if I could do that, this dilemma would be easy.  I want to say that I prefer Oasis, but moreover, I want to mean it. Have I grown up? Have I forsaken Oasis?

I've been wallowing in a "Champagne Supernova" ever since. I suppose there's nothing that brings me back to my teenage years better than working myself into a depression over a trivial subject.

No comments: