2009-04-10

Same-Sex Marriage: Now In Twice As Many States

It's been getting warmer lately. It's not just the change of season you're feeling, but the hellfire resulting from more states permitting same-sex marriage.

That's right, those same couples that are already in love can now get pieces of paper that say they are committed. Of course, people are outraged by this. In their defense, it's not because they're bigots like they're often accused of being, but because they're environmentalists and hate wasting paper.

Also, when gay people get married, it causes hurricanes or something:

These people make some solid points. I'd join their "rainbow coalition," but, truthfully, it sounds kind of gay.

Nevertheless, I do somewhat agree with the critics: allowing gay marriage in Vermont and Iowa is dangerous. Those states are notoriously boring. With nothing else to do, people might get gay married as a way of passing the time. You can only go bowling on so many consecutive Friday nights, you know? Where is our commitment to protecting the sanctity of same-sex marriage?

All kidding aside, this news is exciting, and a credit to all who continue to champion equality in the wake of Prop 8. I still don't give a hoot about marriage and even encourage people of any sexual orientation to not participate in it, but anytime our country makes progress in striking down discriminatory laws, that's something to cheer for. It's a matter of principle, really.

I'm not sure how many people continued reading my blog after I conjured up every Mormon with a dial-up connection in what is by far the most commented on post on this blog's history. I suspect that many of the readers were here for the debate and disappeared since I haven't mentioned the subject of same-sex marriage since last year, but I'd like to acknowledge those who have stuck around and open the topic back up, as I had promised commenter Katia I would in the future. Now that there's some significant movement in the movement again, what are your takes on recent developments? Where do we go from here?

No comments: