2009-06-27

But They Go to "School," Right?

Alice: At the aquarium near me when I lived in France, they had books about how to cook fish in the gift shop.
Kevin: Aww... no one stands up for the fish. Why is that? Why are so many people who won't eat meat willing to be pescetarians?
Alice: I don't know, are they just considered stupider in general?
Kevin: Pescetarians?
Alice: No, fish!

Okay, maybe this conversation demonstrates that I'm the stupid one, but I was pretty willing to buy that pescetarians are stupid for not recognizing a life while eating it. Siding with the, "No, Kevin, you're the dumb one" camp is the fact that two minutes later we saw a sign for the Salvation Army and entered the building for some thrift store shopping, only to find it was a soup kitchen. Oops! After admitting our mistake to a volunteer, Alice muttered, "That was a yuppy moment." Perhaps a guppy moment even. I wonder if they're serving fish. I hear it's brain food and that couldn't hurt right about now.

1 comment:

KirstB said...

As someone whom worked at an aquarium in the Conservation department, yet with the Sustainable Fisheries Initiative, I feel compelled to comment. Im the first to admit to being the dummy for not ever considering the irony of it all.
However, I'll argue that animal rights and environmentalism are separate issues for me, and I think for a lot of others. I love fish, I think they're beautiful, but more importantly many are very, very delicious.

But one things for sure, fish aren't cute, ever, despite Finding Nemo.