2008-09-03

Baby on a Stick

When Katy and Amber returned from a summer of traveling in India, they brought back bags full of gifts to give to their friends and family. While their generosity collectively cost them hundreds of dollars, they were pleased to reveal that my gift only cost about fifteen cents, and was still the best one of all. They were correct. I present to you....

Baby on a Stick!




At one point, Katy and Amber found themselves at a small village's fair. Immediately, they spotted Babies on a Stick for sale and wondered who would buy such an absurd thing. Evidently, children would. As they wandered around the grounds, they saw hundreds of kids playing with these infant marionettes, at which point they realized I needed one. Again, they were correct.

Baby on a Stick is a cut out photo from a magazine with half-colored cardboard limbs attached to the torso with wire and connected to strings that pull on the appendages and make it appear as if it is dancing. I'm not sure why the baby has such long legs or why it is wearing mittens and high heels, but these characteristics certainly add to its charm. I am a bit thrown off, however, by the fact that this baby has four arms, especially when the arms on the photograph could have easily been trimmed to not include the original arms. Then again, given that it's from India, maybe the baby is a descendent of Vishnu.

I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I play with Baby on a Stick every day. Dance, Baby. Dance.

No comments: