2008-04-05

Norbit

Cuban-American student to Asian-American student: "Shut up, Wong"
Mr. [Kevin]: "Stop being offensive!"
Cuban-American student: "What did I do?"
Mr. [Kevin]: "You called him a name that's not his just because he's Asian."
Cuban-American student: "It's from a movie."
Asian-American student: "It's from Norbit."
Cuban-American student: "You've never seen Norbit?!"
Mr. [Kevin], rolling my eyes: "Why would I see Norbit?"
Many students in unison: "Because it's funny!"
Asian-American student: "He's never seen a Chris Tucker movie either."
Cuban-American student: "You don't watch movies with black people? You're racist."
Third student: "That is racist, Mr. [Kevin]."
Mr. [Kevin], to no one in particular: "I love how not wanting to see Norbit makes me racist."

At first, I thought it was just a matter of taste, but check out this clip of Eddie Murphy in yellowface (?) from Norbit and tell me that I'm more racially problematic than this film.

No comments: