2008-04-18

Bubbles

This upcoming week of school is my favorite of the year: state standardized testing. Forget the politics of it all, I enjoy the shortened teaching periods and rare tranquility on campus. Nothing but the gentle sound of number two pencils filling bubbles. Ah, bubbles.

Bubbles are ubiquitous. Bubble tests, bubble gum, bubble baths, bubble butts, bubble wrap, bubble wands, bubble letters... the list bubbles on. Hence, it is only appropriate that Free Design commemorate bubbles on their many successes in a song called, you guessed it, "Bubbles."

"Bubbles" is a venture in funk. Indeed, this tune is grooving, all the way to its sassy conclusion featuring mastication, a pop, and a fit of laughter. Lauding bubbles in a sea of funky harmonies is nothing short of genius.



I began to bold my favorite lyrics only to realize I had bolded more than I had left alone.

Blowin’ bubbles outta the window

Chewin’ bubblegum and blowin’ big bubbles

Gettin’ gettin’ ridda ridda all my troubles,

Watchin’ the tadpoles glubba, glubba in the puddles

Soap bubbles carry my dreams up high

Bubble gum kinda keeps my heart from gettin’ heavy and cryin’



Ma ‘n’ Pa are arguin’ again,

today I lost my best friend

The kitty has a little cold,

‘n ‘ grammama is getting older

My tummy has a little pain,

‘n’ when does Jesus come again?


I'll admit, I'm a bit concerned for the tadpoles residing in puddles rather than ponds. Perhaps the glubba noise is a cry of impending death? I'd get sad, but I'm chewing gum, so my heart's obviously not about to get heavy or cry.

A kitten with a tiny cold is precious enough to erase my visions of an aging grandmother. It still doesn't distract from the most perplexing lyric of the song: "My tummy has a little pain/'n' when does Jesus come again?" What does one have to do with the other? JESUS SAVES... with Pepto Bismal. Is that bubbly? Does Jesus come to earth in a bubble?

In spite of the ridiculousness, you'll genuinely love this one.
Free Design - Bubbles

No comments: