2006-12-05

I Have Joy on the Inside

Since my coworker's two-year-old niece is being potty-trained, my coworker called to congratulate her on her progress. Shortly into the conversation, the niece announced, "I have joy on the inside!" Finding this statement to be rather profound for a two-year-old, my coworker said, "That's good, sweetie." The niece replied gruffly, "No, I have joy on the inside!" "I do, too," my coworker said. At this point, the niece started wailing, "No you don't! I have joy on the inside!" Frustrated, my coworker asked the child to put the parent on the phone. "[Your child] keeps saying she has joy on the inside, but then gets upset when I try to congratulate her." The parent started laughing and went about verifying eir theory on what was occurring. Because the niece is undergoing toilet training, she had recently received her first pair of Christmas-themed underwear, which says the word "JOY" on the butt. Accidentally, the niece had put her underwear on inside out, thus "joy was on the inside," leaving her with a limited yet oddly spiritual vocabulary to try to angrily communicate this fact.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha that made me laugh