2006-04-18

Entomology

And now, another conversation between my roommate and me, paraphrased for you.

K: But they don't call them tag sales in California. It's all garage sales. And some yard sales and estate sales.
M: Estate sales are the best.
K: I went to a couple, and they were crappy. It's sad, because it's like, that's the best you owned?
M: Do you think people who do estate sales get made at people in real estate? As if only type of business deals with real estate? That's elitist.
K: Ha ha, that's not that funny.
M: Oh come on. Real estate?
K: Yeah, I get it, it's just not that good.
M: But why is it called real estate?
K: I bet if we looked in an entomology dictionary, we'd find out that real has another meaning.
M: You don't even need an etymology dictionary, you could find that in a regular one.
K: Yeah, but you'd need an entomology dictionary to get to the root of the problem.
M: Meh.
K: Oh come on, that's way better than your real estate joke. The root of the problem!
M: Yeah, but it's too obvious. If etymology dictionaries were to have a catch phrase, it'd be that, you know.
K: But they don't! And that's why it's funny.
M: Oh, I guess I see how that's clever. Yeah, it might be funny.
K: Oh whatever. I really only went that route because you love entomology so much lately.
M: Just so you know, it's etymology, not entomology.
K: Hmm, I didn't realize that. Getting the prefix to etymology wrong is kind of funny in itself, especially for an English major.
M: Entomology is the study of bugs or something.
K: Oh, it really means something? I thought I was maybe just confusing it with Entenmann's cakes.

As much as we fail to amuse each other sometimes, our conversations have definitely got to entertain someone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah nope didn't amuse me. i don't know how to pronounce that word so it wasn't funny. try again.

Anonymous said...

um excuse me amelia, i will find it not funny if i want to. thanks